All student services programs for undergraduates in the Darla Moore School of Business are coordinated and administered through the Undergraduate Division of the college.
Academic advising for Moore School students is provided through a centralized framework. Professional advisors and administrators are available to business undergraduates on a year-round basis. Students may either walk-in or make an appointment to meet with an advisor. Advisors are not assigned and students may select the Advisor they would like to work with or choose a first available advisor. Academic advisors coordinate advising activities, including educational planning toward meeting degree requirements, study abroad advisement, scheduling assistance and referrals to campus resources.
Advisors are also a resource to discuss the extensive opportunities for extracurricular and leadership activities available at the University of South Carolina and the Moore School. To enrich your college experience, our advisors have compiled an undergraduate handbook which outlines our programs, opportunities and expectations for your success at the Moore School and beyond. Additionally, undergraduate advisors work closely with the University of South Carolina Career Center and the Office of Career Management, where specialized career services are offered to business juniors and seniors.
General Advisement Information
Students meet with an advisor during the formal advisement period before registration begins. All students are seen individually for advisement. Students are notified by email, Facebook, and Twitter when it is time to sign up for fall and spring advisement appointments.
Registration for courses takes place after the formal advisement period is over. The University of South Carolina Registrar’s Office assigns each student an appointment date to register. Students may check their appointment time and register for courses at my.sc.edu.
Advisors are available Monday through Friday in BA Room 301. The Undergraduate Office is open from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., but the optimum times to meet with one of the advisors are from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and from 2-4:00p.m. Drop-in hours may be limited during the appointment advisement period.
Advisors can also be contacted by phone or email but it would be preferred for you to meet with your Advisor if you have a complex issue or multiple questions.
Email: email@example.com (ALWAYS INCLUDE YOUR VIP ID IN EMAIL COMMUNICATION)
Registration Reminders and Tips for Spring 2016
1. You must be advised before you can register for classes. Current BA students can schedule their advisement appointment online at: http://www.sc.edu/advising/business/ or by calling the office at 803-777-2191. As registration has begun, students who have not yet made an appointment will be seen on a walk-in basis beginning November 9, 2015
2. Always include your VIP ID in communication with your advisor.
3. Business courses are available only to business students until Friday, November 6. Beginning on Friday, November 6, minors and other students who need the course in their degree may sign up for specific courses/sections.
4. MGMT 371 and MKTG 350 have sections specifically for business and non-business majors. Business majors cannot take non-business sections and vice versa.
MGMT 371- BA only- 001, 003, 004; Non-BA only- 002, 005
MKTG 350 BA only- 001, 002; Non- BA only- 003, 004
5. FINA 466 is open ONLY to Real Estate majors open until November 6. It will open to Finance majors on November 6. FINA 446 is a Risk only course. It cannot be counted in the finance major.
6. MGMT 478 section 010 is the case competition team. You must speak with an advisor for special registration permission for this section.
7. Some colleges may hold their courses to majors only until a certain time. Minors can sign up after majors. Some of those colleges/majors include SPTE (open 11/9/15); HRTM (open 11/9/15); Journalism (open 11/16/15)
8. Always click the Blue CRN number of a course/section to see specific notes (for example- non-BA section only, etc). This may tell you why you cannot register for a section.
9. If you get an error when registering, write down the error message ("field of study" "classification") so an advisor can better assist you.
10. Business advisors cannot help you with registration into non-BA courses. You must contact those departments individually for overrides, etc.
11. If you need your major/minor coded to register for a class or an increase in your max number of credits for the spring, please call or come by the office.
12. Additional seat requests can be made at this link when a section is full. Completing this online form does not guarantee a seat in the class or a seat into a specific section. This information is used to communicate seat need to the academic departments who ultimately determine if a request can be accommodated. CLICK HERE FOR FORM
13. The following classes are by application only: MGSC 495, MGSC 497, MTKG 453, and FINA 472.